Sunday, April 26, 2009

Using Blogs

When initially thinking of blogs and math, not much comes to mind beyond the bits involved for computer programming that you learn in math classes such as Linear Algebra and Discrete Math. Since, more than likely, I will not be using matrices or anything else of that matter, I think I should probably move on from those thoughts.

I do think this blog could serve as a highly effective tool. Students and their parents can see it. As a teacher, I could list daily homework assignments, extra practice work, and happenings within the modern math world for the brave students that would like to dive into it. I could also post real life applications for the math currently being worked on in class and thought provoking questions that correlate with it. Finally, this could function similarly to a newsletter and guarantee me that parents will be able to get it and students will not lose it.

Additionally, here are some other math teachers that have blogs:

http://letsplaymath.wordpress.com/
This blog is for math teachers and anyone interested in math. It has great ideas for math games and incorporating fun into learning math.

http://wildaboutmath.com/
This blog has math challenges on it and you can email in your answers. Then a winner is chosen at random (from the correctly answered on time responses) and they may receive various types of prizes.

I think that both of these could be great ways to incorporate a blog into my class. The first one is more helpful with my own personal lesson plans. The second one made me think that I could place challenges on here and give some extra credit points or prizes for correctly answerings the challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment